An 1898 train depot hauled up a Phoenix mountain by a former Arizona Highways Magazine editor to create a home is now on the market for $1.05 million.
The house, designed by architect Fred Guirey in 1963, was renovated in 2010-11, but still includes fir hardwood and other materials from the depot.
“The 750-square-foot abandoned train depot was incorporated into the bigger home.”
Located on a desert hilltop near Northern Avenue and the Piestewa Freeway, the 2,681-square-foot home has three bedrooms and three bathrooms, a rock wall fireplace, limestone floors in the kitchen and concrete counter tops.
“It’s a very cool house.”
Author and editor Don Dedera bought the shuttered train depot located in Mayer, Ariz., in 1962 and had it trucked down the old Black Canyon Freeway the next year, according to a history of the house compiled by its current owners, Allison Wiener and William Auther.
Dedera even got special permission to truck it across a Deer Valley Airport runway because it was too tall for the telephone lines in north Phoenix.
It took two of the biggest cranes in Arizona to haul the house up the hill, where it sits now near the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.